Re: Debian Logo *Idea* Contest! (Delay for painting contest required)

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 02:41:20PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > > I'm surprised how many people are in favor of the puzzle.
> >
> > Simply because it seems to be an idea what isn't used by too much
> > other products and which may be associated with Debian.
>
> You need to be very careful to avoid logos with negative associations
> (and no, bees aren't that negative to most people. After all, it is used
> for advertising breakfast cereals).

Everything has a 'back side' - IIRC even ants produce some acid that
could be very harmful when used in large quantity.
All whales are can be very dangerous, because of their huge size.
Dolphins wreck fishermans' nets. If you get a bee sting behind your
ear, it is possible that you get severe brain damage or even die.
There are a lot of people alergic of milk (hint: cows).

But that is not the way to think about logos/mascots. People
generally like BSD devil - and it is a *devil*.