Re: Debian Logo *Idea* Contest! (Delay for painting contest required)

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 06:55:08PM +0100, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > > So we should think about some non-animal logo. Maybe the puzzle or
> > > Joeys kites or something like this.
> > I'm surprised how many people are in favor of the puzzle.
> Simply because it seems to be an idea what isn't used by too much
> other products and which may be associated with Debian.
You need to be very careful to avoid logos with negative associations
(and no, bees aren't that negative to most people. After all, it is used
for advertising breakfast cereals).

> The orca also is a nice idea but many people with associate it with
> SeaWorld or a movie which I didn't like very much. So an orca seems
> not to be a good logo to me.
As long as the image is not too similar, this is not a problem.
Have you heard anyone think that RH sold hats?

Just to repeat myself: avoid logos with negative associations. If a logo
is different enough to avoid infringing on an existing logo, then cross-
associations are not a problem.

Jay Treacy