Re: Debian Logo *Idea* Contest! (Delay for painting contest required)

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, James A. Treacy wrote:

> > So we should think about some non-animal logo. Maybe the puzzle or
> > Joeys kites or something like this.

> I'm surprised how many people are in favor of the puzzle.

Simply because it seems to be an idea what isn't used by too much
other products and which may be associated with Debian.

The orca also is a nice idea but many people with associate it with
SeaWorld or a movie which I didn't like very much. So an orca seems
not to be a good logo to me.

The bee is better, but we have to be careful, that it doesn't look
like we are selling honey. On the other hand the cooperative work of
busy bees (possible alternative: ants) matches the idea of Debian
where many developers work all around the world to build a big
distribution. So the base idea is good and now we need some artist
which creates a logo, which doesn't look like selling honey but which
makes this unique for Debian...

> Why would anyone want to associate Debian with something that is
> 'puzzling' and potentially difficult.

I associated "puzzle" with "everything fits into the other and creates
a large nice picture". But when you associate puzzle with difficulty
this may not be the optimal logo.

Ciao

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.rhein.de * http://www.rhein.de/~roland/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF