Re: Recompilation to remove dependency on libc6 2.0.7u (Was: Status of Slink

On Wednesday 9 December 1998, at 14 h 8, the keyboard of Roman Hodek
<Roman.Hodek@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> Argl!!! Please remember that if you recompile a package on i386
> just for this,
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  IMHO, it is rather important. Remember that, if this recompilation is not
done, people will not be able to install new packages from slink, if they
don't upgrade their libc6 to slink's version. This is not the Debian way: one
think I like in Debian is that you can upgrade as will, there are no
gratuitous dependencies, unlike commercial Unices.

> you'll create a new version number, and then all non-i386
> also have to recompile them all, too. 661 packages will keep the m68k
> build daemons busy for several weeks :-(

Of course, Alpha maintainers do not have the problem :-)

> Do you plan this for frozen?
> This slink won't release this year...

I thought we had a lot of time before the (multiple) CDs and the boot-floppies are ready?