Re: Recompilation to remove dependency on libc6 2.0.7u (Was: Status of Slink

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wednesday 9 December 1998, at 14 h 8, the keyboard of Roman Hodek
> <Roman.Hodek@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>
> > Argl!!! Please remember that if you recompile a package on i386
> > just for this,
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   IMHO, it is rather important. Remember that, if this recompilation is not
> done, people will not be able to install new packages from slink, if they
> don't upgrade their libc6 to slink's version. This is not the Debian way: one
> think I like in Debian is that you can upgrade as will, there are no
> gratuitous dependencies, unlike commercial Unices.
>
> > you'll create a new version number, and then all non-i386
> > also have to recompile them all, too. 661 packages will keep the m68k
> > build daemons busy for several weeks :-(
>
> Of course, Alpha maintainers do not have the problem :-)

Alpha machines are slightly (10 times?  20 times?) faster than
our slow m68k machines.  Please don't discriminate the people wo
put a lot of effort and free time into these architecture.

Regards,

	Joey

not tried it.  -- Donald E. Knuth

Please always Cc to me when answering on the lists.