Re: Recompilation to remove dependency on libc6 2.0.7u (Was: Status of Slink

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 03:23:15PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Wednesday 9 December 1998, at 14 h 8, the keyboard of Roman Hodek
> <Roman.Hodek@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>
> > Argl!!! Please remember that if you recompile a package on i386
> > just for this,
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   IMHO, it is rather important. Remember that, if this recompilation is
> not done, people will not be able to install new packages from slink, if
> they don't upgrade their libc6 to slink's version. This is not the Debian
> way: one think I like in Debian is that you can upgrade as will, there are
> no gratuitous dependencies, unlike commercial Unices.

Can't we just change our slogan to "there are FEW gratuitous dependencies??"

Seriously, this is a bad idea.  Installing the new libc6 invites few changes
other than bugfixes, so it doesn't really hurt anyone to have to put it in.

Worse, what if it turns out you _do_ need a recent libc6?  With libc5, I
remember all kinds of obscure problems you could have if you used a
later-libc5 binary with an earlier-libc5 system.  Does libc6 have problems
like that?  Are they known?  Isn't it better to have the dependency when
it's unnecessary, than not to have it when it is necessary?

Have fun,

Avery