Re: Draft new DFSG - r1.4

Dear Steve Greenland,

> How is this significantly different than the advertising clause? One
> says "If you base your software on my software, you must credit me".
> The other says "If you use my software for publicized work, you must
> credit me."

IMHO (as expressed before) SWI-Prolog's condition is almost an instance of the
advertising clause with two variations:

1. it is only required for certain fields of endeavor (only academics are
   required to reference :),

2. it is a restriction on the USE of the software since it applies even in
   cases where no redistribution is in question.

This is an interesting combination that should be discussed...

Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, Ph.D., prof.associé  <Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR>
Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallélisme  équipe PLUME, bureau LR5-026
Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon; 46, Allée d'Italie; F-69364 Lyon 07 cedex
phone: +33(0)4 7272 8642; fax:...8080    <http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~krisrose>