Re: joe 128+ ASCII characters (was Re: EURO patch)

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 02:46:07AM -0500, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> I don't know of any terminals that have display "problems" with high-ascii
> characters.  Obviously we want to avoid sending raw NUL or ESC or NL or CR
> control characters, of course, but that's not the question.  As far as I
> know, the worst that can happen if you have a 7-bit terminal is the extra
> bit will get lost and the "wrong" character will display.

    But there's the catch, to display raw upper-ASCII one must also display
raw lower-ASCII.

> That's impossible, since jed doesn't escape high-ascii and joe does.  One of
> them must, therefore, not have the most useful default setting.

    But is that by design or the author's defaults?  If it is the latter,
and joe is because of author defaults, then it *IS* the case because it is
not whether the high-ASCII is displayed, but whether they adhere to author
defaults.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my