Re: joe 128+ ASCII characters (was Re: EURO patch)

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 12:00:06AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 02:46:07AM -0500, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> > I don't know of any terminals that have display "problems" with high-ascii
> > characters.  Obviously we want to avoid sending raw NUL or ESC or NL or CR
> > control characters, of course, but that's not the question.  As far as I
> > know, the worst that can happen if you have a 7-bit terminal is the extra
> > bit will get lost and the "wrong" character will display.
>
>     But there's the catch, to display raw upper-ASCII one must also display
> raw lower-ASCII.

Gotcha! RTFM - try export LESSCHARSET=latin1. I really dislike less as it is
in Debian. I was used to the SuSE-Version which automatically formats
groff-files, unpacks gzip-files, show german umlaut's correctly and so on...

But I also do not like the /etc/profile distributed with SuSE - it has about
200 exports...

I would suggest to make "less" a script which calls a file "less.bin" with the
right parameters gotten from a configuration file in /etc. I would be nice to
have a setup program for this. I would do this but I guess most of the
developers in US will dislike this solution because "this is unneccesarry and
introduces additional overhead"...

cu
	Torsten