Re: Qt license change

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 01:57:35PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > What???  GPL most certainly DOES allow commercial apps.  www.fsf.org even
> > > has an article on selling GPL software!
> >
> > If the code is proprietary (which is what I meant above) QPL says you need a
>
> I still don't follow.  What does this have to do with the issue?
> Proprietary code is, by definition, not open source.  We all agree that's
> bad.  What's the point?
>
> Incidentally, the GPL quite clearly spells out that you must distribute your
> code.

To qualify for the QPL, you must do the same.

If you want to have proprietary code, you're welcome to to pay them lots of
money for use of their commercial license which allows it.  The GPL doesn't
say they're welcome to do that.

The GPL does not specify that such a provision exists, but it does if the
copyright holder is willing to grant you additional terms (and might if you
offered a sizable amount of cash for such a license)  The difference is that
it's a given with Troll Tech and not with your average GPL program.

--
Show me the code or get out of my way.