Re: Qt license change

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 06:29:42AM -0800, Jim Pick wrote:

> luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr writes:
>
> > > That said, if we ship with Qt, I think we can get by on the GPL's
> >
> > but we cannot ship Qt in main, only in non-free, because of the non
> > commercial clause. Or did i miss something ?
>
> You missed something.  :-)
>
> Go to http://www.troll.no/ and read the new proposed license.

Ok yes i read it, i would never have posted if not.

but there is still the problem on commercial software production with Qt, you
have to buy Qt commercial to produce commercial Qt products. I am not entirely
sure but they were comments saying that this is not FDSG compliant. and i seem
to remember there is some limitation on this, something about fee you can
charge, or other such.

But i would let more competent people handle the license case for now, i just
wanted to point that out to you.

It is the same with another license i have been looking, it seemed quite DFSG
free, but after careful looking, it didn't permit distribution of bynarries of
the modificated work, and thus it did go into non-free.

anyway, it is only a draft, and thus we will have to wait for the definitiv
version.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER