Re: Qt license change

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 12:55:03PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > I fully understand TrollTechs clause. Even programers have to eat ;-)
>
> That argument holds no water.  It's quite possible to make tidy cash off GPL
> software.
>
> > The QPL requires a commercial license for proprietary apps..
> > The GPL does not allow commercial apps but doesn't offer other licensing.
>
> What???  GPL most certainly DOES allow commercial apps.  www.fsf.org even
> has an article on selling GPL software!

In pretty much the same fashion as QPL allows.  =p  You can't stop someone
from taking your GPL software after paying for it and giving it out free.
Your profit comes from a distribution fee essentially.  If it's reasonable,
people will pay it.  If it's not, they won't.  Same with Qt.

If the code is proprietary (which is what I meant above) QPL says you need a
commercial license.  If it's proprietary the GPL says you can't distribute
it at all.  (The fact is that you can't under the GPL, but you can get other
licensing from the copyright holders..)  The QPL simply spells it out while
the GPL does not.

--
Show me the code or get out of my way.