Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

Previously Ben Collins wrote:
> BUT, i still believe that you cannot make a main package depend on a
> non-US package under the current distribution techniques.

The trick here is how you look at non-US. The best way to look at it IMHO
is to see non-US as a n`addition value pack' for Debian, which happens to
be managed by the same people as the normal Debian distribution. So we
have standard Debian, as found on ftp.debian.org, and you have `Debian+non-US'
as different distributions.

> Having something in the control file to denote whether the package falls into
> US only, or Domestic would be easy.

Are you also volunteering to check for all packages if they are allowed in
all countries in the world? Good luck..

> The other question remains is how much debian can be held accountable for
> it's enforcement (or lack of) controlling the distribution of this
> it's US only distribution?

Do we really want to know that? I don't want to be in a position where this
matters. We should not allow to get ourselves into a position where we can
be held accountable.

Wichert.