Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> wrote:
> > MS> (However I have to admit that the restinction is not based on
> > MS> the "license" but on "patents" and "law").

Hmm...

There's two issues here, let's not get them confused:

(1) has to do with the license, and the philosophy of the license.

(2) has to do with the practical restrictions of a real distribution.

Personally, I have no objection to non-US packages being considered a
part of Debian.  However, that doesn't relax the constraint that they're
non-US.

Just as standard packages can't depend on optional packages, main packages
can't depend on non-US packages.  If you want your package to depend
[or recommend] a non-US package it should also be put in non-US.

Also, it would be nice if non-US packages were organized the same
was as the rest of debian [into non-free, contrib and main, with
individual directories for each section].  I don't care if empty
directories are never created, but that structure is useful and
conveys some significant information.

--
Ral