Re: Switch to perl-5.005_02 ?

Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr> writes:
> Le Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 06:32:22PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava écrivait:
> > 	I agree.
>
> I do not. Perl 5.005 and the new perl-thread seems to interest a lot of
> people. But if we don't switch to perl5.005 right now, they would presumably
> download the forthcoming perl5.005 package from the next (after freeze)
> unstable dist. If they do like that all their lib*-perl package will
> be broken and dkpg would not complain ! Furthermore if they do this they
> will have to download all their lib*-perl packages in order to have
> a consistent perl toolbox.
>
> But if all is done for slink, they will switch to the new packages without
> noticing that something has changed for perl.
>
> Do you see what I mean ?

C'mon, let's be realistic.  Introducing a new perl right now would
basically blow a 1998 stable slink out of the picture (as would PAM,
of course), IMHO.  It's not just a question of re-uploading 35
packages, but also of testing, and tracking down interactions.  Maybe
I'm too pessimistic, but it seems like a big problem to me.

It would be much preferable to wait until post-freeze, and then,
w.r.t. the libraries, either have perl conflict with the older
versions of things, or else provide a big perl5.05 "profile package"
or some such external mechanism to ensure the smoothness of the
transition.

If it's a big issue, why can't we plan on having a Debian 2.2 release
very quickly, i.e., freeze again in January or Feb?  Our main goal is
an integrated, stable system.  We shouldn't give into fetish for the
newest versions, at the expense of stability.