Re: Right way to sync

Marc Singer <elf@netcom.com> writes:
> What is the *right* way to sync to slink (or any other distribution)?
> I looked into dftp and found that it seems more like a method for
> installing new packages than keeping in sync with the most recent
> versions.
>
> The main thing I'm trying to avoid the duplicate package install
> problem.  For example, dselect gets very confused when I have more
> than one package version present in my distribution directory.  It
> installes the lower numbered one first and then goes through the
> successive versions upgrading.  This caused a problem with X, for
> example, when some of the files moved and the uninstall scripts
> weren't clever enough to handle the soft links.

Marc, when you've solved this, would you mind helping me getting it
documented in the Developer's Reference.  I'd love to have some
instructions for mirroring documented officially; I think the ftp
maintainers would love it too...

BTW, on 18 Sept Jason Gunthorp posted to this list some basic
instructions.  You should track that down in the list archives.