Re: Game plan for slink, a suggestion

On Wed, Jul 29, 1998 at 08:52:21PM +0100, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 1998 at 01:53:58PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > dpkg 1.4.1.4 does NOT work. It is broken. It compiles, but it does not
> > operate correctly.
>
> Then why don't work on the bugs in dpkg 1.4.1.4 instead of putting patch
> after patch on dpkg 1.4.0.x series? AFAIK, a lot of the stuff people is
> patching in dpkg 1.4.0.x has been fixed already in the 1.4.1.x series.

Well, if you ask me personally: I don't have the knowledge nor the time to
work on dpkg any more than porting it to the Hurd (which is hard enough).
All patches I apply to dpkg 1.4.0.24 are patches that remove functionality
to make it working on the hurd (locking, architecture).

My opinion why nobody works on dpkg 1.4.1.4 --- it seems that it would take
some time to find out what is already done and what needs to be done. There
are a lot of changes compared to 1.4.0.24, and I don't think many people
know what is needed here. I think Klee should write a short summary
of the current state and what needs to be done, so other people can take up
the task. But this is only my impression, I don't know how it compares to
the truth.

Marcus