Re: Intent to move mysql-base and mysql-dev to main

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:
> Why main?  What good is the client without the server?  Can you use it
> with other databases or something?

The server doesn't have to reside on the same machine, or even on a
Debian box at all.  It is quite possible that you might need client
access to a remote MySQL server, but not need a local server at all.

For example, some ISPs provide MySQL as a backend database for web
service, and it might be convenient to use your Debian box at home to
manage databases on their server (if they'll let you).  Another
possible situation is an intranet containing MySQL servers; you might
want to add a Debian-based workstation to it, and to do that you'll
need a MySQL client.  (Of course, in the real world it is more likely
that you'd need an Oracle client instead, but the principle is the
same.  If we had a DFSG-free Oracle client, I'd like to see it in main
as well.)

At any rate, if the client is DFSG-free, I see no reason not to put it
in main.  (It may not be useful to everyone, but neither is a lot of
other stuff in main.)

--Rob

--
Rob Tillotson  N9MTB			Internet: rob@io.com