Re: Game plan for slink, a suggestion

On Jul 26, Joey Hess decided to present us with:

> > I don't do perl, but even if I did, implementing the dependency support
> > outside dpkg-dev is just plain wrong.

Agreed in principle.

> The problem with this idea is that all the dependancy parsing code seems to
> be inside dpkg proper (C code). The dpkg-dev programs are written in perl
> and I don't notice that they have any idea of how to parse a depends line.
>
> How about if we had a seperate dpkg-checksourcedepends (with a shorter name
> :-), that would probably be a C program that uses libdpkg, and dbuild or
> other programs call it?

Doesnt dpkg-perl do what you need from libdpkg? Or similar? I
never really checked libdpkg, and dpkg-perl's interface (I don't
do perl either).

And BTW, what about moving this to a new debian-autobuild list
where people who are interested and commited can start real
work?

[]s,
                                               +----
--
   Howling to the moonlight on a hot summer night...
                 pgp key in the web page

Free Software Union       --       http://www.fslu.org