Re: RH and GNOME

On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 01:16:09PM -0700, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> >  Petra> ... it seems to me to be ... sink or swim .... How about
> >  Petra> ... Heres a life jacket to get you through the first storm...
> >
> > 	You are great at analogies and generalizations, however, some
> >  specifics would really help.  I would say Pikes "The UNIX programming
> >  Environment" or the LDP's basic books are the life jacket.
>
> I'd say the best life jacket is the 'man' and '(tk)info' commands. What more
> can a beginner that really want to learn need? I learnt that way... Sure, it
> took me a long time, but now everything (almost any way :) is more or less
> subconcuius.

I had Running Linux.  Many man pages still confuse me.  Most don't have a
long time to learn, they need to know what they need to know now---otherwise
they will happily continue to use windoze..  That's the majority of users.
If we don't like the Wintel duopoly, we have to provide a viable
alternative.

It's not as hard as you would expect it to be, debian is much better than
manpages and info documents.  A few little things can still be done to make
Debian even better for new users---not necessarily the clueless newbie
type---that will not interfere with those who don't need any or all of those
little additions.  Debian has a good middle level that keeps the sysadmin
from having to do a lot of mundane admin tasks, but it doesn't hide them.
Any high level tools for newbies should use the current midlevel tools to do
the work for compatibility.