Re: RH and GNOME

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> Hi,
> >>"Petra," == Petra, Kevin J Poorman <ewigin@SoftHome.net> writes:

[...]

>  Petra> ... it seems to me to be ... sink or swim .... How about
>  Petra> ... Heres a life jacket to get you through the first storm...
>
> 	You are great at analogies and generalizations, however, some
>  specifics would really help.  I would say Pikes "The UNIX programming
>  Environment" or the LDP's basic books are the life jacket.

I'd say the best life jacket is the 'man' and '(tk)info' commands. What more
can a beginner that really want to learn need? I learnt that way... Sure, it
took me a long time, but now everything (almost any way :) is more or less
subconcuius.

> 	If you think that is not enough, I am sure people would be
>  grateful for patches / concrete suggestions.
>
>  Petra> Oh, yeah now theres a good idea....
>
>  >> We are indeed striving for ease of use, and for a geater
>  >> degree of assistance in configuration of complex software.
>
>  Petra> Examples? ... apt and?
>
> 	kernel-package. bindconfig. sendmailconfig. postinst scripts
>  that set up complex packages. dwww. menu. the boot floppies
>  package. http://localhost/doc/.
>

>  >> Actually, I think you have no idea of what you are talking
>  >> about.
>
>  Petra> well, your entitled to that opinion.
>
> 	Until you give me any specifics, I have nothing to change my
>  opinion.
>
>  >> You are somewhat like the management, who pick up nice, big
>  >> sounding ideas all the time, but really have not thought through the
>  >> nitty gritty dirty details.
>
>  Petra> Oh, what a nice thought... a way out for you.... Come on. please try
>  Petra> harder.
>
> 	Me try harder? What about you putting some substance to your
>  accusations? How about you putting together *one* technical proposal?
>  How about you putting together a single policy amendment? How about
>  you doing anything but somplain in this forum?
>
> 	Failing that, how about pointing out one single specific
>  improvement we can make? (Something more specific that we should use
>  a GUI to set things up or that we should be user friendly)
>

>  Petra> did I say that? ... or did you make that up. I think you made
>  Petra> that up, because you assume that everyone who doesn't see it
>  Petra> your way, must NEED and WANT a gui. all I'm saying is that a
>  Petra> life jacket would be good for our users...
>
> 	In other words, you do not even think a GUI is what we need,
>  you want another mindless platitude. "A life Jacket", indeed.
>
>  >> What bugs? I find the GPL to work exactly as it should. We
>  >> need a strong license that ptomotes and actively propogates free
>  >> software, and the GPL does that.
>
>  Petra> while I haven't memorised the entire gpl, what I have read leves me to
>  Petra> think that there are a fewq "bugs" in it.
>
> 	Again, when asked for specifics, you balk. I think you are
>  merely trolling.
>

>  >> I personally am against the certification prtograms, since in
>  >> my experience none of them so far have been worth anything
>  >> much.
>
>  Petra> sounds like you couldn't pass one anyway.... well with your
>  Petra> reading skills and all.

[...] (a looooong list of lines, not longer relevant deleted)

 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are
         / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /          papadoc.nocrew.org
  _ /// / /__| | | | | |_| |>  <  Turbo Fredriksson    turbo@tripnet.se
  \\\/  \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\ PGP#788CD1A9   www5.tripnet.se/~turbo
------- PGP:  B7 92 93 0E 06 94 D6 22  98 1F 0B 5B FE 33 A1 0B ---------

--
nuclear Ft. Bragg smuggle colonel Delta Force World Trade Center
Treasury quiche security Ortega arrangements cracking BATF CIA