Re: RH and GNOME

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Grant Bowman wrote:

> At 9:05 PM -0700 7/24/98, Petra, Kevin J Poorman wrote:
> >you aperantly jumped into the middle of this with no clear understandinf
> >of what I'm talking about. read the archives... I'm not for making debian
> >another win95, but the reason most ppl chose rh is that it has great
> >newbie suport.... why can't we... and when I say suport I mean that it's
> >easy to install and use the basic utilities of linux after installing....
>
> I haven't read this thread, so excuse any overlap with previous posts.
> AFAIK Kevin you have a very good point.  I would like to see Debian easier
> to use as well.
>
> Are what you are proposing possibly consisting of
> a) better installation with good defaults and possibly
> b) a seperate install that is "start and walk away" to allow real neophytes
> to begin painlessly on a single partition or something.
> c) support to allow newbies help themselves somehow (lists, web
> conferencing, whatever) and not get in the way of developers
> d) more newbie instructions included with some utilities and
> e) Newbie manual?

all of the above and more. I'm envisioning a gui OPTION for install, just
as apt has console and X suport so should our install program. wheather
it's useing mgr/w/ or ggi doesn't matter, narower install options for ppl
who don't realy fit into those "default" sets of packages, beter and more
robust error hadleing in the install procedure, Remove all refrences to
/dev in the newbie install section (ie the gui install) and change it all
to things like

			what com port is your mouse on:
	a: com1
	b: com2
... ect

basicly a install option that would allow my dad (who knows how to use
netscape and word... and thats it) to install and use linux, and would
allow him to do the final reboot to a few last questions and then dump him
into a much easyer x configureation system.

> Does this fit with what you were thinking?  If it doesn't, it's what I am
> thinking of.  Do some of these exist and may need modification or promotion
> a la debian-publicity so people know they exist?  Should this be the domain
> of a downstream DISTRIBUTION like I heard talk that some people might be
> doing soon?  If necessary, how might we branch some development resources
> quickly and easily to support such an easier to use Distribution?  I don't
> know how many people will want to work on this, but if this group can
> leverage the current infrastructure, I think it would help Debian as well,
> obviously.

some things already exist, like the install program ... it just needs to
be patched to allow for a gui install if your useing a cd ... and then
'fixed' (right word?) to handle errors better.

the gui install needs to be writen. I'm looking for ppl to help any
takers?

> I believe these efforts will require large amounts of documentation, QA,
> getting feedback from real newbies (beta feedback organization), etc.  This
> might be a beginning list of additional efforts, I don't know.  Maybe some
> of this is already in place better than I know about.

yup lots of docs.

> Regards,
>
> --
> -- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow@svpal.org>
>

> --

Particle man, Particle man
Doing the things a Particle can
Whats he like? Its not important
Particle man is he a dot, or is he a speck
When He's underwater does he get wet, or does the water get him instead?
- -Particle Man, by They Might Be Giants.

- -K