Re: RH and GNOME

"Petra, Kevin J Poorman" <ewigin@SoftHome.net> writes:

> I'm envisioning a gui OPTION for install, just
> as apt has console and X suport so should our install program. wheather
> it's useing mgr/w/ or ggi doesn't matter, narower install options for ppl
> who don't realy fit into those "default" sets of packages, beter and more
> robust error hadleing in the install procedure, Remove all refrences to
> /dev in the newbie install section (ie the gui install) and change it all
> to things like

There are already work on a GUI installer to replace dselect (called deity),
I'm not sure what hapend to that, I haven't heard about it in a long time.

apt are supposed tho get some GUI, if I understood it correcly.

So we are already working on the issue...

> basicly a install option that would allow my dad (who knows how to use
> netscape and word... and thats it) to install and use linux, and would
> allow him to do the final reboot to a few last questions and then dump him
> into a much easyer x configureation system.

Quite frankly, I don't give a rats ass about your dad being able to install
a UNIX system! He should probably not get near it...

And why make a nother Linux distribution for the totaly ignorant (or atleast
the totaly unknowlagable). There's plenty of them, in fact, Debian is the
_ONLY_ (that I've heard of anyway) that 'have a market' for the expert, the
hacker, and the very brave! Lets keep Debian like so... I want a dist to,
I personaly hate RH/Win etc, just because they are to simple for me, I want
a challange in life, I don't want to be feed everething.

> the gui install needs to be writen. I'm looking for ppl to help any
> takers?

As said, deity had a very nice looking GUI, talk to them...

Instead of komplaining (not as hard a word as it seems), DO something. If
you start, maby others will follow? It have happened before...

 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are
         / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /          papadoc.nocrew.org
  _ /// / /__| | | | | |_| |>  <  Turbo Fredriksson    turbo@tripnet.se
  \\\/  \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\ PGP#788CD1A9   www5.tripnet.se/~turbo
------- PGP:  B7 92 93 0E 06 94 D6 22  98 1F 0B 5B FE 33 A1 0B ---------

--
AK-47 Cocaine Clinton South Africa Treasury jihad Mossad nuclear radar
Kennedy BATF Peking class struggle assassination CIA