Re: RH and GNOME

Petra, Kevin J Poorman <ewigin@SoftHome.net> wrote:
> Remove all refrences to /dev in the newbie install section (ie the gui
> install) and change it all to things like
>
> 			what com port is your mouse on:
> 	a: com1
> 	b: com2
> ... ect

Removing information doesn't make it easier for people to learn or
to use the system.  I don't think it's bad to mention that com1
means the same thing as /dev/ttyS0, in fact mentioning this is
good -- it will avoid a whole series of problems later on.

But more importantly: this is the wrong approach for making it
easier for users to select the proper mouse.

The first thing to do is check to see which bus-mouse device files can be
opened without error.  There's a lot of information that can be obtained
this way.  [And there are several issues to deal with: there's device file
names, which should be considered significant, and there's major/minor
numbers, which should be used in sanity tests.]  And, of course, it's
always wise to take a look at /dev/mouse (usually a symlink, if it's
there) as a reasonable default, because people might be doing reinstalls.

--
Raul