Re: RH and GNOME

In a very real sense "we are a third party" for anything in 'contrib'
and 'non-free'.  These two sections are not part of the "integrator's
distribution".

This whole matter is _still_ very murky even after much effort to
provide clear guidelines.  "System" stuff and in general any utilities
_required_ to boot and/or maintain the OS are pretty well defined.
The 'historical' unix tools and variants usually find themselves in
/usr/bin.

Most of the 'traditional' stuff that is complex (ie:  mail) are still
in places like /usr/bin & /usr/sbin.  X set a precedence with its'
own directory structure(s) but made some sense with respect to
maintaining very complex packages.  Among other things the X structure
allowed for having more than one version of X installed on the same
machine.

/usr/local is supposed to 'belong' to the machine's sysadm and nothing
should touch it without his/her specific desire.

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 01:23:07PM +0100, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 09:52:55PM -0400, Scott McDermott wrote:
> > Forgive my ignorance on the matter, for I don't use Debian or any other
> > distribution, but from reading the lists I was under the impression that
> > Debian follows FHS...which mandates a /opt, and would be the appropriate
> > place for E.  Am I wrong in thinking that Debian complies to FHS?
>
> I think you are wrong thinking /opt would be the appropiate place for a
> Debian-made E package. /opt is for third parties. We are not a third
> party, we are the system integrator.
>
> --
> Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
>

> --

best,
-bill
                bleach@BellSouth.net
           b.leach@usa.net  LinuxPC@Hotmail.com
from a 1996 Micro$loth ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"
         See!  They do get some things right!