Re: RH and GNOME

Changing licenses is not a concern.  RedHat is Linux based and likes the
GPL.  It means that they are getting loads of software free and getting
other people to debug most of it.  Same reason we like the GPL (and
other DFSG things).

However consider HTML.  It is a standard from W3org.  However both
Netscape and M$ have added pieces to it.  HTML is still a free thing,
however its direction is controlled by corporate forces.  You can choose
not to use a M$ extension, but then everyone else uses it and you look
out of touch, behind the times.

This is my concern with projects like GNOME.  I am sure that RH will not
do this.  However, I do see it with E and others.  Sure its free, but I
can not influence its development (to a degree).  That is why I would
like GNOME to be a less sponsored thing.  It does not even *look* like a
corp can control it then.