Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 06:45:25PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
> > However consider HTML. It is a standard from W3org. However both
> > Netscape and M$ have added pieces to it. HTML is still a free thing,
> > however its direction is controlled by corporate forces. You can
> > choose not to use a M$ extension, but then everyone else uses it and
> > you look out of touch, behind the times.
>
> HTML is not GPLed.

WTF has the license to do with it? If <insert-name-here> starts adding
stupid extensions to the kernel we can ignore them, but if they have 90%
of the market share we will soon find people are writing apps that work
on their kernel and not in ours. So we will have to swallow their
extensions, as stupid as they are, or offer a definitely better product
to convince the developers to ignore those extensions, as we do now
against M$. Now try to think what makes Debian definitely better than RH
or Stampede or Caldera or ...

Denying a threat, even a very improbable one, won't help us a bit to
avoid it.

--
Enrique Zanardi						ezanardi@ull.es