Re: RH and GNOME

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 03:56:40AM +0000, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 09:52:55PM -0400, Scott McDermott wrote:
> > > But the final release may have to be installed in /opt. I'm not saying
> > > that it _will_ happen. I'm just saying that it _may_ happen. If that
> > > happens we will have to fix it for Debian. That's just a hypothetical
> >
> > Forgive my ignorance on the matter, for I don't use Debian or any other
> > distribution, but from reading the lists I was under the impression that
> > Debian follows FHS...which mandates a /opt, and would be the appropriate
> > place for E.  Am I wrong in thinking that Debian complies to FHS?
>
> Debian uses the FSSTND.  We're going to be migrating to FHS starting in
> slink.

Even after the migfration, Debian will NOT use /opt.

/opt will be considered like /usr/local, no packages may install files
there, because it has to be kept under admnistrators control (for commercial
packages etc).

Debian integrates all packages in a uniform system. /opt is quite different
in structure and purpose.

Marcus