Re: I need a working debian CD image, yesterday :)

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 02:38:47PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:

> There are some BIOSs that neither of these will boot on I'm afraid :-(

How come? Has anyone given any explanation to why this is? This is the
second, so called "bootable", CD I've burnt that refuses to boot.
Very irritating, especially since the Windows NT CD-ROM boots just
fine on that computer.

> binary-i386-cdboot.raw was just a test of an alternate boot method, which
> seems to help some people, but makes other people's systems very slow to boot.
> Did it help you ?

No, I'm afraid it didn't.

> binary-i386.raw is the current 2.0beta1 image.  We'd be interested
> to know any problems you have with this one, since I'm supposedly
> going for a second beta   attempt this evening (in about 10 hours),
> and would like to get rid of as many problems as possible before doing so.

The major problem I had was with the fact that when I tried to install
debian, I got a lot of dependency problems. I think this might be
because some hamm/-packages depend on packages in contrib, which
is on another CD. I'm not sure though, since I think that we want to
be able to install a Debian system using only the binary-i386 CD.
I have as yet not found a way to get dselect/apt to fetch information
from two different CD's either, which makes installation rather hard
for a newbie user.

> Oh, you mean in:

Exactly.

> Anyone know of a reason not to remove 2.0.6_1998-05-12 from the CD's ?

No, just get it out of there ;)

> > Second problem is that when the packages is
> > installed theres a _LOT_ of dependency problems. The system works kind
> > of okay I guess, but it sure doesn't look good.
>
> Was this on the ``cdboot'' version, or the actual 2.0beta1 image ?
> Could you be more specific please.

These dependency problems was with a standard workstation using the
cdboot version, which I would have thought included the same binaries
as the 2.0beta1?

Also, I can't seem to be able to change this image.. Whenever I try to
loopback-mount it I end up with a read/only device. Even if I
explicitly give mount instructiong to mount it r/w (which it doesn't
complain about). Got any ideas on this one?

> The scripts I use to make the images, are available as debian-cd_*.deb:

I've looked at these and if I was given a few days I could probably
even get them to work ;)  I've got a local mirror, mirroring from
ftp.debian.org using fmirror. For some reason though the
check_mirror.pl-script complains about incorrect md5sum's, som
somethings wrong somewhere.. Might be just my mirror thats acting
funny..

It might be a good idea to mention somewhere that you need cdboot.bin
and boot.catalog to make it work (Atleast it looks like that). I have
as yet found no reference to these files or where they can be found (I
can find them on the CD I burnt ofcourse, but where do they come from
originally and what are they?). Some more documentation wouldn't be so
bad really (But I know how tiresome documentating can be..).

Another thing I noticed; why is the mkisofs program included in the
debian-cd package? It seems to be rather different then the one
included in the hamm distribution. Wouldn't it make sense to make the
debian-cd package work with hamm's version of mkisofs and make it
depend on it? Or is there something fundamentally wrong with the hamm
mkisofs? :-)

Just some ideas of mine and I'm sorry if you've heard all of this
before :-)