Re: I need a working debian CD image, yesterday :)

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 06:23:44PM +0200, Jonas Oberg wrote:

> Also, I can't seem to be able to change this image.. Whenever I try to
> loopback-mount it I end up with a read/only device. Even if I
> explicitly give mount instructiong to mount it r/w (which it doesn't
> complain about). Got any ideas on this one?

Yes this one is simple :)

The iso9660 filesystem was specifically designed to be written onto
read only media. AFAIK changing an existing image would be extremely messy
...if that wasn't the case...just think of how long it takes
to just create an image of 600 MB or so...

anyway....the iso9660 driver in the kernel doesn't support writting to the
filesystem...and since iso9660 isn't meant to be written to..why
complain when someone tries to mount it rw...since noone would
ever do that ;)

ya know...I thought about checking it out and looking into what would
be required ot make the driver support modifing mounted iso9660 filesystems
(ie mounting them truely rw)...I never did do that tho...

-Steve