Re: I need a working debian CD image, yesterday :)

> Hi,
>
> a customer just called and said he wanted to try out Debian. Beeing a
> Debian user, and developer myself, ofcourse I encouraged him to do so.
> Then came the problem, how do I get a CD for him to try? After some
> digging I found the binary-i386.raw (and binary-i386-cdboot.raw)
> images on http://www.uk.debian.org/debian-cd/. After having burned
> these down to a CD I tried them out. Unfortunately none of them
> booted, but thats okay. I can always write down a disc for him to boot
> on.

There are some BIOSs that neither of these will boot on I'm afraid :-(

binary-i386-cdboot.raw was just a test of an alternate boot method, which
seems to help some people, but makes other people's systems very slow to boot.
Did it help you ?

binary-i386.raw is the current 2.0beta1 image.  We'd be interested to know any
problems you have with this one, since I'm supposedly going for a second beta
attempt this evening (in about 10 hours), and would like to get rid of as many
problems as possible before doing so.

> First problem is that there are two base2_0.tgz packages on the CD, I
> would really prefer to have only one so he doesn't have to choose more
> then necessarilly.

Oh, you mean in:

   debian/hamm/hamm/disks-i386/2.0.6_1998-05-12
   debian/hamm/hamm/disks-i386/2.0.8_1998-06-23

Anyone know of a reason not to remove 2.0.6_1998-05-12 from the CD's ?

> Second problem is that when the packages is
> installed theres a _LOT_ of dependency problems. The system works kind
> of okay I guess, but it sure doesn't look good.

Was this on the ``cdboot'' version, or the actual 2.0beta1 image ?
Could you be more specific please.

> So anyone, please help me out here. I want something that I can give
> him so that he'll see what a nice and warm distribution Debian is. The
> alternative for him is Red Hat, but I'd rather he choosed Debian since
> that would make atleast my life alot simpler :-)

The scripts I use to make the images, are available as debian-cd_*.deb:

  http://www.hands.com/~phil/debian/debian-cd/

If you have a local mirror, you should be able to make CD images with them.
If you have ideas for improvement, please try them out if you can, and send me
them to me, so I can put them into the scripts.

Cheers, Phil.