Re: VI reasons (was Re: Base Set: Suggested additions & removals.)

Tomislav Vujec wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 1998 at 09:53:16PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Problem is, you'll never be able to convince a DOS user of a text editor
> > with different modes. Sorry, I don't think a dumb newbie should be able to
> > install a workstation, but he should be able to install the base system and
> > play with Gnome apps.
>
> And he shouldn't have to choose "Shell..." option from menu. So he doesn't
> need an editor, and that means it could be vi, or even ed if there is not
> enough space. ash itself is to complicated, also mount, fdisk, etc. What is
> the real reason to put ae on rescue fd? It doesn't really help anybody.

I am a former ``dos'' user, and I wonder what all the fuss over using vi
is all about.  Vi is not the easiest of editors to learn, and if there
is an easier to use editor than vi, I am all for it.  Ae or joe appears
to fit the mold  and there are not a lot of commands to learn and
memorize.  I for one prefer emacs or xemacs, but for a rescue system
they are way too large.  But everytime I use vi I still have to get out
a book with the command syntax, sinse i don't use it every day.  Also
xemacs has been added as the default editor in the .profile files on my
system.

I agree with those that want to make the Linux system easier for the
novice.  Somewhere I remember that Brakas was lamblasted for creating
Fortran that made programing easier back in the 50's.  Are we still
trying to keep the system a secret from the others so that they will
have to come to us?

Have a good day
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037