Re: VI reasons (was Re: Base Set: Suggested additions & removals.)

Philip Hands wrote:

> Please don't do this.  It used to drive me nuts to type vi and get ae (whether
> in ae or braindamaged-vi mode).  If there is some vital reason for removing
> vi, it should be replaced with a script that says something along the lines of:
>
>   VI is missing from this rescue disk because of space constraints, although
>   it is of course a standard part of any Debian GNU/Linux system.  In the mean
>   time, you can use the simple editor that is available, which is called ``ae''

This seems to be a comfort-based argument with the people comfortable
with vi vs the people who like ae.  To me, it's immaterial overall.  I
would tend to side with Phil, however, in that vi is the accepted and
expected editor when it comes to multi-platform work.  It is the only
editor that you can count on being there if all else fails and it's
absence or replacement would be VERY notable to those who expect vi.
I've used and been confused by ae in the past (yes, I apparently am
brain-damaged enough from concussions to not understand it's
simplicity), so I'm one of those people who's comfortable with vi.  Then
again, I've used vi on over 20 platforms each running various OS's over
the past 12+ years.  I, personally, *like* knowing that it will be there
if all else fails.  When I got stuck in ae the first few times, I ended
up running to another machine to make a disk with vi on it because I had
more important things to think about (and repair) than to try to work
around a strange editor.

Like I said, overall, I think this issue is being discussed on a comfort
level right now.  I think we should really be hashing out whether or not
we want to cater to newbies (ae) or to experienced systems admins (vi).
I'm for the latter, but that's only my opinion....

Also, why not just offer two different disks if possible?

Chris