Re: upstreams maintainer conflict, was: wget: remove outdated manual page

Fabrizio Polacco <fpolacco@icenet.fi> wrote:
> This has already been done on 16 May by Raul Miller, who posted a
> "pod" manpage on this list. Hrvoje apparently approved and offered to
> include it in the next release of wget. Now, where is the problem?
> Debian 2.0 will have wget version 1.4.5 (which included the old
> manpage in the sources), and for that nothing can be done, meaning
> that the release is in deep-freeze and Nicolás is not allowed to
> upgrade it with the new upstream release.

I also wrote one based on the 1.4.5 info, you should be able to
find a copy of it in the debian-devel list archives.

Furthermore, note that both instances of man pages were written by
taking the info pages and tossing a lot out, and adding a little in.
These man pages explicitly say that they're incomplete, and refer
to the info for complete documentation.  [The primary incompleteness
is that I didn't extract a wgetrc man page.]

Furthermore, note that Michael Bramer wrote a program that does a
mechanical conversion of info to man format.  I don't think that
this splits out several man pages based on content, but it's an
interesting alternative to consider.  [More on this later. [I think
that with a little work, we could identify the labelling issues
needed to automatically split an info page into several appropriate
man pages, and we might even be able to get GNU to retrofit their
info pages with such labels.  But I don't have time to look at this
right now]].

--
Raul