upstreams maintainer conflict, was: wget: remove outdated manual page

Hi,

I forward this message to debian-devel because it really shouldn't be
discussed on debian-user. Debian-user is a list for user questions and
because of its volume, not many developers read it.

It should be discussed on debian-devel instead because the issue is
getting nasty and IMHO some other developers should look into the matter
and try to moderate evreyone's feelings a little.

The previous mails in this discussion are no longer in my mailbox, but
IIRC the discussion started with the upstreams maintainer of wget
complaining that the debian maintainer had included an old and partially
obsolete and wrong manpage. The upstreams maintainer supplies his
documentation only in info format. The debian maintainer feels compelled
by policy to supply a manpage as well. After an exchange of some emails,
the discussion threatens to develop a nasty tone.

I am reluctant to involve debian-policy because this is not strictly a
policy debate. But I do think that once dust has settled a little on this
one, some aspects of the case should be discussed on debian-policy, as it
seemingly is the policy's dictate that every executable must have a
manpage that brings the developer in conflict with the upstreams
maintainer.

Please bear with us and have some more patience, Hrvoje. I'm sure that
Nicolas has not ment to harm or annoy you. Had this thread been on
debian-devel from the start, it would not have evolved this way.

Cheers,

Joost