Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 07:07:14PM -0400, Shaleh wrote:
> I have not been paying attention that long and for that -- I apologize.

Apology accepted.  I've been here a long time and seen the same
problems come up over and over again.  That's part of why I'm so
passionate about this.

> Frankly this is where the problem is coming from -- a group wants to be
> a RH competitor in market share or whatever and a group which wants to
> maintain a community product.  I can not see the too existing.

I think that's defeatist.  I know Debian can't be everything to
everyone, but I do know it can be a lot more than it currently is.

> RH makes
> it to deadline for two reasons: they cut corners and they have paid
> staff who can be dedicated to the work.  This is the same resaon you see

They also know their limits and don't try to include anything and
everything.  There are somes things that have limited enough scope
that should be left for "contrib" status.

> more R&D from them.  I guess the only real solution to to get everyone
> to stop and vote for a purpose and let those who want to leave go their
> own way.  Until this happens the current situation will not change.

Agreed.  However, I'd rather it be polling than voting.  To me, voting
connotes a democratic process and I've come to the belief that Debian
can not effectively be run that way.  That doesn't mean that the
developers shouldn't have a voice in things (they can still "vote"
with their feet, after all).  It does mean, though, that somebody has
to be in charge to make the tough decisions, even when they are
unpopular, to keep the entire project on course.

> Although some may not see this as a problem.  Debian is not a single
> goal project like kernel development or making a new window manager.  SO
> it is harder to shoe horn into a set path.

I disagree.  Ask Linus if managing the kernel development is a single
goal project. :) In fact, I would go so far as to say that managing
the kernel is very much like managing Debian.  If Linus can do it
effectively for the kernel, surely it can also be done for Debian.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road