Re: Yet another Linux distribution! :-)

On Sun, May 03, 1998 at 10:41:10AM +0200, Hugo Haas wrote:
> > > 	root: The person who gets root's mail (also daemons', etc).
> > > 		This userid (on the mailhub) get all mail sent to
> > > 		local adressees with userids less than 10.  In other
> > > 		words, she gets mail the system mails to root, daemon,
> > > 		etc.
> >
> > ooh!  I did -NOT- know it did this.  Not thinking it had this was my one
> > complaint about the package.  Can you specify your own MDA (ie procmail) for
> > this?
>
> I'm afraid that you can't do that (well, the first s in ssmtp stands
> for simple...).

Someone else said you could pipe root's mail to some MDA like procmail or
deliver..  If you can't, it would not be a nasty problem to modify the
program's source for the task.  I think I even know enough C for the job!
hehe

> > Ugh.  Depending on what it needs this for, it could be not good that it
> > wants this.  Then again, since this thing would probably only run when you
> > were on the net, it would be no major pain to just configure it in ip-up.d.
>
> It is used to write header stuff, to generate the From: line if
> RewriteDomain is not specified.
>
> It is also used to send a HELO command, but this could/should be changed.

mmm, okay, then we WOULD want that set in ip-up.d

The other issue remaining with the program is that it doesn't do mail
queues, and that's one I'm not sure how to handle.  I'm sure perl could
store messages in a queue and try and send them on demand, even using locks
so it'd be re-entrant..  I've written perl that could do this.  =>

This process is simple:

The send wrapper:
	Generate a unique file name (pid.timestamp?)
	drop a lockfile for the above
	dump stdin to above locked file
	send file contents to ssmtp
	did ssmtp return an error?
	  No:  Delete the file and lock
	  Yes: Delete the lock only and exit

The runq clone:
	For each file in queue directory which isn't locked:
	  Lock the file
	  send the file contents to ssmtp
	  did ssmtp return an error?
	    No:  Delete the file and lock