Time to say goodbye...

Hi folks!

The discussions of the last days have shown me clearly, that I can't
implement my ideas WRT policy/QA anymore.  It looks like most of the
other developers (and most importantly, most of the other `old'
developers) don't share my views anymore.

I still think that the continuing growth of the project is a high risk
for the stability of the project and also for the quality of the
distribution.  In such a situation, it is necessary to clarify the
responsibilities of the individuals and to adjust the structure of the
organization--unfortunately, this is done in a direction which I can't
support anymore and I don't see a chance to fix this.  (My attempts to
clarify these issues have been interpreted as `me pressing my views of
management over others' and `using my fiat power as policy manager to
dictate developers.')

Therefore, I've decided to leave the Debian project.  This is a great
step for me since I'm Debian developer since Aug 96 and was working as
Policy Manager since Feb 97, and I spent quite a lot of my free time
for the project.  However, such a high time commitment requires a
common vision with the other developers--something which has been lost
lately.  I've reflected this decision in the last days and it's
irreversible now.

Note, that this is a `technical' decision--there are no `personal'
problems involved.  I know that a lot of people have supported my
actions and I want to use this place to say Thanks to them.  After
all, I'll want to stay a good friend of Debian, I'll continue to
promote Debian to my friends, and I want to keep up the good
cooperation with the Debian developers like it used to be in the past.

Working for Debian has been a lot of fun to me and I've learned a lot.
I want to thank your support and also for your participation on the
project!  Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Christian Schwarz

PS: The Linux community will not lose me!  I'm planning to join Bruce'
effort to set up a new base distribution.  If Debian should decide to
support the new base distribution, too, perhaps I could act as person
of contact for Debian.

- --                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/