Re: Time to say goodbye...

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

> PS: The Linux community will not lose me!  I'm planning to join Bruce'
> effort to set up a new base distribution.  If Debian should decide to
> support the new base distribution, too, perhaps I could act as person
> of contact for Debian.

You should also keep your eye on the Red Hat Contrib Net (RHCN):

  ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/rhcn/charter

which shows some promise.  Red Hat is trying to set up a contrib
system with signed packages, quality control, designated developers,
etc.  If it takes off, it would be promising source of non-base
packages for both Bruce's project and Red Hat Linux.

Most of their policy hasn't been set yet to the detail that Debian's
is, other than a statement that maintainers have to be responsible for
bugs and are responsible for arranging that their packages are
available on as many platforms as possible.  I've encouraged them to
look at Ian's bug tracking system, which I feel would be well suited
for a project like that.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu