Re: policy violation and bug reports.

On Sun 22 Feb 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> I have only one simple question - if this can be answered to my
> satisfaction, I would have no qualms about moving all conffiles into /etc.
> That question is: what does this gain us? I don't see an appreciable gain. I
> see a lot of stuff moved around in a fashion that makes debian even more
> unlike a standard linux system. I see the developers hobbled by a useless
> piece of policy. So where's the gain?

I'd like to add my vote here to keep debian similar to "a standard linux
system", whatever that is...  One of the big turn-offs for me about Red
Hat is how they've moved all sorts of stuff into /etc/sysconf, which is
similar to what's being implied in this discussion.

Please, let's not do things "because that's what Policy dictates". If
it's clearly against common practice, then clearly Policy is broken in
that aspect.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl