Re: New Package: camediaplay 980118-1 (source i386)

On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 02:23:50PM +0100, Christian Leutloff wrote:

> > > Package: camediaplay
> > > Version: 980118-1
> > > Maintainer: Christoph Lameter <chris@lameter.com>
> > >  But does not work with my camera! (Casio) Need a new maintainer.

To be honest, this line has no reason for being in the description field.

> > I don't think it's good practise to introduce new packages if you know
> > from the beginning that you don't want to maintain this package
> > (especially without a discussion!). We already have too many orphaned
> > packages and we should not introduce `new orphans' in which noone is
> > intrested. This is not what our archive is for.

Seconded.  These packages could be uploaded into the orphan section
but should not go into the main archive.

> > So unless someone else is willing to take over maintainership of this
> > package now, this package should be removed again from Incoming.
>
> Please let the package into the distribution! It's important to have
> even unmaintained packages in our main distribution. This way people

Args!  How can you say that?  It's a complete horror to have unmaintained
packages within our distribution.  Bugs don't get fixed, nobody cares
about new version and bugfixes, nobody cares about policy violations
etc.  This reduces our quality and it really gets on my nerves.

> can give the program a try. If they like it, they will start
> maintaining it or do non-maintainer releases etc.. If don't it will be
> removed if it has to many bugs and nobody cares.

Move it to project/orphaned and they can still try it.  Or take a look
at debs.fuller.edu.  I believe this pool is intended for these packages.

> AND for newbies it's much easier to start to maintain with improving a
> package than to do it from scratch. Christoph is building many many
> packages. He can't maintain all of them. Therefor he puts *all*
> packages on the orphan list. If nobody takes the package and he is
> interested in the package he's maintaining it, even if listed as
> orphaned.

> I really like this approach! Please let him do it this way in the
> future.

Debian the distribution with the most unmaintained pieces of software,
formerly known to be of high quality.

Great approach...

	I'm dissappointed.  Joey

 /  Wer ist Germany.Net?               http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/  - Dauerwerbesender seiner Abbonenten.    -- Lutz Donnerhacke /