Re: Proposal: Link to .changes file for each package on www.debian.org

Raul Miller wrote:
> > Instead of checking everything, just check those things whose
> > md5sums have changed since the last complete check.

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> wrote:
> Checking md5sums of the whole archive also takes some time. However, I
> could compare the timestamps, of course.

I thought of timestamps first, but timestamps isn't good when
the files aren't being created on that machine -- various file
transport mechanisms preserve the original time stamps, so unless
you're very careful to always touch the file after transport
(which is very, very hard to guarantee) you've got a potential
unreliability.

On the other hand, checking md5sums isn't as bad as a complete
run of the policy checker.  [I think.]

--
Raul