Re: New Package: camediaplay 980118-1 (source i386)

Christian Leutloff <leutloff@sundancer.oche.de> writes:

> > I don't think it's good practise to introduce new packages if you
> > know from the beginning that you don't want to maintain this
> > package (especially without a discussion!). We already have too
> > many orphaned packages and we should not introduce `new orphans'
> > in which noone is intrested. This is not what our archive is for.
> >
> > So unless someone else is willing to take over maintainership of
> > this package now, this package should be removed again from
> > Incoming.

FWIW, I 110% agree with Christian (Schwarz).

> Please let the package into the distribution!

Please don't.

> It's important to have even unmaintained packages in our main
> distribution.

Au contraire, I think it's *much* more important to have quality over
quantity, i.e. I'd honestly rather see 800 well maintained packages
than 1400 packages, large numbers of which are orphaned or should be.

One of our big selling points is our bug tracking system.  We say
"Hey, look at us, we have this kewl public bug tracking system, where
you can report a bug, and it'll be fixed".  What we forget to add is
"[ ... ] iff it's one of the maintained packages and not one of
Christoph's upload-and-orphan packages".

> If don't it will be removed if it has to many bugs and nobody cares.

And how long will it take for it to be removed?  How many people will
we have disillusioned about Debian's commitment to quality?  (Think
back to how many people reported bugs or asked for help with,
e.g. gpc, before it was finally removed from the distribution)

> AND for newbies it's much easier to start to maintain with improving
> a package than to do it from scratch.

IMHO if you can't debian-ize a package from scratch you've got no
business being a maintainer.

> Christoph is building many many packages.

And orphaning them all.

> He can't maintain all of them.

He doesn't even want to!  If it was simply a case of someone running
out of time and having to orphan package(s), we wouldn't be having
this discussion, but the point is Christoph *deliberately* uploads and
orphans these packages.  He has no intention of maintaining them.

> I really like this approach!

I don't; I think he's single handedly lowering the quality of the
Debian distribution.

--
James