Re: Grub question...

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> "Larry 'Daffy' Daffner" <vizzie@mail.airmail.net> writes:

> > This is true; however, you can change the root device in the kernel
> > with rdev (at least I think that's the name of the tool)

I belive you can specify it with the "root" option, my
/boot/grub/menu.lst file looks like:

timeout= 10

title= Linux 2.0.33
root= (hd0,0)
kernel= /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.33

title= Linux 2.1.76
root= (hd0,0)
kernel= /boot/vmlinuz-2.1.76

title= Linux 2.0.30
root= (hd0,0)
kernel= /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.30

title= Win95
root= (hd0,2)
chainloader= +1

> I've seen DOS/Win get a little cranky when you're booting from drive
> D, so the LILO remapping option allows you to tell it to remap
> /dev/sda to be hd1 (in grub terminology) and /dev/sdb to be hd0 so
> drive C and D get swapped at the BIOS level just before control is
> handed over to DOS.  Clever hack, that...

Not sure about remapping drives, if lilo does it in a chainloader, it
might be possible to have grub invoke that chainloader.

I do have a patch to do drive hiding, but I plan on leaving it out of
my next release.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu