Re: Grub question...

"Larry 'Daffy' Daffner" <vizzie@mail.airmail.net> writes:

> This is true; however, you can change the root device in the kernel
> with rdev (at least I think that's the name of the tool)

Yeah, that's the one.  If grub works out for me, I'm going to see
about writing a little snippet for kernel-package that'll let you
choose grub instead of lilo via /etc/kernel-pkg.conf (that's assuming
that Manoj likes it).

> title=		Windows 95
> root=		(hd0,0)
> chainloader= (hd0,0)+1

Hmm, I must have overlooked the chainloader bit in the docs.  What's
the +1 for?  (guess I'll go poke around).

> Not sure what you mean by remapping drives though. I never managed to
> notice that feature of LILO.

Say I've got my Win boot partition on /dev/sdbX and a win data
partition on /dev/sdaX.  Normally in this case the SCSI BIOS will make
/dev/sda drive C and /dev/sdb drive D.

I've seen DOS/Win get a little cranky when you're booting from drive
D, so the LILO remapping option allows you to tell it to remap
/dev/sda to be hd1 (in grub terminology) and /dev/sdb to be hd0 so
drive C and D get swapped at the BIOS level just before control is
handed over to DOS.  Clever hack, that...

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>