Re: Grub question...

  RB> "Larry 'Daffy' Daffner" <vizzie@mail.airmail.net> writes:
  >> This is true; however, you can change the root device in the
  >> kernel with rdev (at least I think that's the name of the tool)

  RB> Yeah, that's the one.  If grub works out for me, I'm going to
  RB> see about writing a little snippet for kernel-package that'll
  RB> let you choose grub instead of lilo via /etc/kernel-pkg.conf
  RB> (that's assuming that Manoj likes it).

That'd be cool. It's slightly obnoxious having to tell the kernel
package "Yes, I know what I'm doing and I WILL still be able to boot
when I do this :)" evertime I install a new one :) Although, I just
pass the root device on the command line. It felt easier than blind
trust in the kernel's idea of what the root FS is :)

  >> title= Windows 95
  >> root= (hd0,0)
  >> chainloader= (hd0,0)+1

  RB> Hmm, I must have overlooked the chainloader bit in the docs.
  RB> What's the +1 for?  (guess I'll go poke around).

The (hd0,0)+1 magic says to grab the first sector of partition 0
(a/k/a partition 1) and jump to it. Since that's all the BIOS does, it
works :)

  >> Not sure what you mean by remapping drives though. I never
  >> managed to notice that feature of LILO.

  RB> Say I've got my Win boot partition on /dev/sdbX and a win data
  RB> partition on /dev/sdaX.  Normally in this case the SCSI BIOS
  RB> will make /dev/sda drive C and /dev/sdb drive D.

  RB> I've seen DOS/Win get a little cranky when you're booting from
  RB> drive D, so the LILO remapping option allows you to tell it to
  RB> remap /dev/sda to be hd1 (in grub terminology) and /dev/sdb to
  RB> be hd0 so drive C and D get swapped at the BIOS level just
  RB> before control is handed over to DOS.  Clever hack, that...

Nifty enough. I've never had use for that, since Bloze views my drives
as set up correctly. Having said that, I'll probably run into a
situation where it would be highly desirable in the near future :)
As far as I know, grub can't do that, though.

I do hve a small bit of cleverness though - making a GRUB floppy with
an MSDOS filesystem on it. It took a little bit of nosing around, but
it wasn't too bad. I then use that to put a kernel on, so I can boot
up a kernel off the floppy and use a Zip drive (id 5) as the root FS,
just for emergencies. :) Email me if you want the gory details :)

-Larry

  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/
	Ray's Rule of Precision:
	    Measure with a micrometer.  Mark with chalk.  Cut with an axe.