Re: debian packaging manual

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Paul J. Thompson wrote:

> > Jim> The source is SGML (available in the source package for dpkg).
> > Jim> You can use "debiandoc2ps -1 packaging.sgml" to print it out the
> > Jim> way you want -- you'll need the debiandoc-sgml package of course.
> >
> > 	In which case, could we have a package that delivers the
> >  packaging manual in SGML form, so we may process it as we wish? (I
> >  also wish all info files were also present as texi files, so I could
> >  run TeX on them).
> >
> > 	I know they are available in the source package, but dselect
> >  does not know how to get them off the ftp sites.
>
> I would be willing to make a package to provide the packaging manual and the
> other major debian manuals in SGML form if I might have some help building a
> list of the documents to provide.  (would of course be very simple to build...)
>
> and would we want maybe a seperate package for debianmaintainer-doc and
> debianuser-doc.  each could provide the documentation (those listed under the
> debian documentation page...) in their appropriate categories (maintainer and
> user...) in various fromats (SGML, TeX, ps, txt, dvi...).
>
> what do you think?  do I/we need permission to make such a package?  if so,
> from who?

Actually, the new documentation policy will also include some guidelines
for SGML packages. It was planned that each package providing a doc from a
SGML source should install the SGML source and an HTML version. Through
some doc-base package (to be written) the user will have a unique frontend
to compile the SGML source into other packages.

Thus, I don't think it's necessary to create any new packages now. If
someone wants to have the SGML source now, I'd suggest to contact the
maintainer of the doc package to include the SGML source as well.

Anyways, we really should discuss the implementation of the new
documentation policy soon now. The discussion will be on debian-doc.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/