Re: policy on editor/pager support

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

[snip]
> This seems much more complex than necessary. I don't see any reason that
> EDITOR and PAGER can't be guaranteed to exist on the system. (Have the
> base system provide them in /etc/profile)

This has been discussed several times now. A lot of people here think that
the use of "public environment variables" is deprecated.

> The update-alternatives method requires that the program as permission to
> install itself as the "default", adding additional questions to the
> installation proceedure.

The different `vi' clones already do this, so I don't see a reason why we
should do it for all editors.

> It is my feeling that this policy was not discussed in an adequate
> fashion. The fact that it made it into the policy manual without much
> review is troublesome to me. We need a better method for solidifying a
> proposed policy than the one we are using at the moment.

Wait a minute! What do you want to say? I'm trying my best to coordinate
all policy changes. Every planned change is available at the home page of
the policy manual
(http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-policy/) clearly
marked as `TO BE APPROVED'. In addition, all changes are presented to
public in my `POLICY WEEKLY' postings.

This topic (editor/pager) has been presented to public in policy weekly
issue #1 (June 15, 1997) and issue #2 (July 06, 1997). Both times, it was
clearly marked as `proposal for a policy change' with a note, that if
noone objects I'll make it official. (Note, that all policy weekly
postings are also available online at the policy home page.)

So in my opinion, it _has_ been discussed in an `adequate fashion'.
People can ignore the postings, but then they should not complain
afterwards.

BTW, I'm currently preparing the next policy weekly issue. It will contain
at least 18 topics. I know this is much, but all topics are important so I
don't see a reason to drop something.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com