Re: libreadline problem (BS key)

Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

> Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu> writes:
>
> > On my system the BackSpace key is mapped to DEL.  When I run bash or
> > ncftp it doesn't work, even though "stty" says that "erase=^?".
> > (Pressing Control-H does work.)

> > I'm guessing that this is a bug in libreadline (libreadlineg_2.1-7)
> > but I was wondering if anyone else was seing this behaviour before I
> > submitted a bug report.  (This started after I recently synced my
> > existing hamm system with the current hamm directory.)

> Under which terminal?  You should get correct behavior for DEL and BS
> on xterm, rxvt, and linux.  BS deletes left, and DEL deletes right.

Ok, apparently it does work right for "vt100" iff you set the terminal
to vt100 before you start bash.

It's somewhat reasonable to argue that xterm always uses ^H for the
BackSpace key, although I don't know why it would hurt to respect
the "stty" settings (is this an upstream issue?). I guess I'm just
going to have to set my xterms back to ^H (since readline ignores the
"stty" settings), I hope it doesn't break remote logins.

> > Also, an unrelated problem (this one is a problem with ncurses): the
> > "xterm" terminfo entry doesn't seem to work right with non-debian
> > xterms.

> The xterm terminal emulation changed upstream, and ncurses-base
> includes the new behavior.  Set your TERM to xterm-old when logging in
> from an old-behavior xterm.

Ok, I thought this might be the case. (Didn't know about xterm-old,
though.)  I'll work around this until the other systems get updated.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu