Re: libreadline problem (BS key)

On 5 Oct 1997, Steve Dunham wrote:

> Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:
>
> > Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu> writes:
> >
> > > On my system the BackSpace key is mapped to DEL.  When I run bash or
> > > ncftp it doesn't work, even though "stty" says that "erase=^?".
> > > (Pressing Control-H does work.)
>
> > > I'm guessing that this is a bug in libreadline (libreadlineg_2.1-7)
> > > but I was wondering if anyone else was seing this behaviour before I
> > > submitted a bug report.  (This started after I recently synced my
> > > existing hamm system with the current hamm directory.)
>
> > Under which terminal?  You should get correct behavior for DEL and BS
> > on xterm, rxvt, and linux.  BS deletes left, and DEL deletes right.
>
> Ok, apparently it does work right for "vt100" iff you set the terminal
> to vt100 before you start bash.
>
> It's somewhat reasonable to argue that xterm always uses ^H for the
> BackSpace key, although I don't know why it would hurt to respect
> the "stty" settings (is this an upstream issue?). I guess I'm just
> going to have to set my xterms back to ^H (since readline ignores the
> "stty" settings), I hope it doesn't break remote logins.

I just want to note that there is a "Debian Keyboard Configuration
Project" whos goal is to solve exactly these problems. If you are
intrested in this, please join our discussion on debian-i18n.

The home page of the project is

	http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-kbd/

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/